Our client is recognized around the world as an innovative leader in the development, manufacturing, and commercialization of science-based nutritional health products. Their company is headquartered in Montreal, Canada and we have offices and manufacturing plants around the globe. We are currently hiring for a Scientist (Technical Services) in Pittsburgh, PA.
Identify and resolve manufacturing issues for commercial and development products. Use good technical judgment to make sound decisions independently. Performs physical characterization testing and works independently with suppliers to optimize raw material physical properties. Provide technical support to cross-functional teams during development, commercial launch or problem solving for a given product. Monitors and executes projects to optimize processes, to meet plant efficiency programs, meet target yields, cost controls, customer specifications, or product quality attributes. Responsible for compliance with GMP and GLP guidelines. Writes and reviews technical reports, quality documents, SOPs, and manufacturing batch records.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
· Anticipates, recognizes, and resolves technical problems. Understands the business implications of assigned products and processes and identifies technical solutions compatible with business needs.
· Provides technical support for new products development and for process improvements to existing products.
· Lead physical characterization testing of raw materials. Utilize results to independently optimize material properties with suppliers and drive manufacturing efficiencies.
· Continuously searches for new techniques/equipment to improve manufacturing or product development.
· Applies advanced scientific knowledge to projects; determines priorities for experiments. Executes experiments independently. Assures experimental quality through attention to detail and application of the scientific method. Proficiency in basic statistics, including tracking and trending, sample size determination, equivalency evaluation preferred.
· Liaison between functional groups, sister divisions (i.e. Operations, Quality, Regulatory, Materials Management, Analytical Test Labs, Product Development, and Business Units), and external plant customers or vendors.
· Provide guidance (scientific and administrative) for technicians.
· Applies technical writing skills to produce reports, SOPs, manufacturing documents, and investigations, writes independently and evaluates the writing of others.
· Provides technical support and training for the plant’s manufacturing areas.
· Leads multifunctional teams to accomplish projects.
· Presents results of projects both internally and externally. Presents complex technical data to large and diverse groups.
· Participates in project planning, process update; contributes to experimental design.
· Leads technical plant project teams.
· Develops and maintains internal and external customer contacts as required to accomplish job objectives.
· Cross-functional relationships
· Planning and Organizing
· Project Management
· Document Control
· Statistical Analysis
· Problem Solving
· Laboratory Notebook Technique
· Design of Experiment Experience
Position is carried out in a factory setting where there is considerable exposure to raw materials and dust.
BS in engineering or physical sciences (advanced degree preferred). Must have significant lab experience and/or manufacturing experience. Will consider lesser degree with significant oral-dosage manufacturing experience.